Regional Health is now offering Palliative Care to the patients and families of Rapid City Regional Hospital. Palliative Care is specialized medical care focused on relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of serious illness - whatever the diagnosis. Palliative Care can be provided alongside curative treatment and is appropriate at any age and any stage of a serious illness (according to The Center to Advance Palliative Care).
Eligibility for Palliative Care
Palliative Care is appropriate for anyone suffering a serious, chronic or life-threatening illness.
Palliative Care Team
The Palliative Care program consists of a multi-disciplinary team, comprised of physicians, nurses, advanced practice clinicians, counselors, pharmacists, chaplains, and ethicists working to design short-term and long-term plans for the patient.
Palliative Care Location
The Regional Health Palliative Care team will be based at Rapid City Regional Hospital and will be available Monday through Friday for inpatient consults.
Benefits of Palliative Care
According to The Center to Advance Palliative Care, hospitals which provide Palliative Care programs notice patients and families are more likely to report:
- A higher level of confidence in their health care team.
- A better sense of control regarding decisions about their care, including pain and symptom management, treatments and interventions.
- Decreased suffering, worry and anxiety related to their serious illness.
- More "internal balance" regarding goals, choices, family, and course of illness or injury.
- Higher satisfaction with communication regarding their condition and care.
- An increased sense of support, preparation, direction, and next steps once the hospital stay is over.
For more information about Palliative Care, please call (605) 877-2131.